All DCS Parents have access to the syllabi and lesson plans for all of our classes! Access lesson plans for every class on our CC Lesson Planner Website. Lesson plans for each class should be available by the Friday before the next week’s lesson.
Based on the Dallas School District decision to require Comprehensive Distance Learning for All until at least mid-November, we will be doing online lessons for the rest of fall term (through Dec. 18). We are excited about our online offerings, but also looking forward to getting together again for in-person learning when we are able!
Find the Course Descriptions here:
Online Course Descriptions Alphabetical by class name
Online Course Descriptions By day of the week
Schedule of Online Classes – Fall Term 2020
- Fall term classes will run in two sessions (Sept 14-Oct. 30 and Nov. 2-Dec. 18). Most classes will run for 13 weeks (as a part one and part two) and some will only run for six or seven weeks each. For full-term classes, students can take classes for the first seven weeks and then continue on if they wish. More details on this coming out soon.
- All classes will be between 30-55 minutes long, except for the online PE options, which will be in 15-20 minute blocks. At least a few minutes of stretching, brain breaks and physical activity will be a regular part of many classes!
- Detailed lesson plans including homework assignments and online resources will be provided on our CC Lesson Planner website. All DCS families will have access to these plans, whether or not they are taking online classes.
- Most classes will be “live” via Zoom or Google Meets video conferencing. Some may have pre-recorded video lessons. Students can access the Zoom lessons using the Zoom app on a computer, Chromebook or tablet, or through a browser (with more limited functions).
- Please use this online form to sign up for classes your students are interested in taking! You can add or cancel classes on this form until Sept. 18 (if making changes to your original choices, please use the same email address you already used).
- Individual and small group tutoring will also be available by schedule or on a drop-in / as needed basis. Your Guide will have more information about this for you soon.
- Fridays will be for one-off online workshops and presentations, virtual field trips, and drop-in tutoring sessions.
OMSI Virtual Friday Family Workshops
|Microscopic Zoo – September 18 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am|
|Indoor Star Party – September 25 – 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm|
|Indoor Star Party – October 9 – 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm|
|Scales, Claws, and Expanding Jaws (Reptiles) – October 2 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am|
|Cow Eye Dissection – October 16 – 11:00 am to 12:00 pm|
|Frog Dissection – October 23 – 11:00 am to 12:00 pm|
Help with Online Learning
We want this term of online learning to be as interesting and effective as possible for all students. To this end, we will be helping everyone who is interested in participating in online classes to solve and overcome any barriers.
- We will be sending out video tutorials to help explain the tech tools we are using, like Zoom and Google Classroom, how to help students organize their devices so that they can independently access the links for the lesson plans and Zoom meetings, and how to use the DCS app for easy access to and reminders about online classes.
- We will be helping to make sure that every student has their own Chromebook or iPad to use for online learning.
If ANY other aspects of online learning might be keeping your students from participating in online classes, don’t hesitate to let us know so we can discuss possible solutions with you. We have great instructors, and we want to make our online lessons, with the right setup and expectations, an effective, easy, and non-threatening way to learn (although we are also looking forward to getting back to more in-person classes)!