Seeking Innovative, Experienced & Passionate Educators for a Flexible, Non-Traditional School!
About Dallas Community School
Dallas Community School (DCS) is a public charter school located in Dallas, Oregon. Organized and operated by a grassroots nonproﬁt called Community Innovation Partners, Dallas Community School provides personalized learning opportunities for students in grades K‐8. The primary learning environment is in each students’ home but most students also participate in optional onsite classes in our school in Dallas. Our approach emphasizes community‐based learning, where parents and other adults play a primary role in education and licensed teachers serve as skilled coaches, mentors and guides. We emphasize democratic learning, project‐based learning, and a variety of other innovative approaches that meet the unique needs of our students. While we are truly a “school without walls” and build upon students’ unique skills and interests. Dallas Community School is a tuition‐free public charter school sponsored by Dallas School District.
Read more about us by Googling our website for Dallas Community School (this posting will not allow us to enter our website).
About This Opportunity
There are two job descriptions for licensed teachers. We are accepting applications for a licensed teaching position with a primarily focus on teaching classes in our onsite program. This job will include teaching in a multi-subject and multi-grade environment surrounded by support from other licensed staff and parents. You’ll work with students and their parents to develop learning opportunities that meet the individual needs of your students within a dynamic, project‐based classroom where creativity, effective strategies for learning and innovation are valued above all. Most classes average 10 to 13 students with some up to 24. Our teachers are primary participants in developing the class schedule and designing the courses for our students. Classes are offered Monday through Thursday. On Fridays, teachers will have planning time and participate in staff meetings and in-service trainings.
This isn’t your typical teaching opportunity. Though curriculum follows standards, there is no one standard curriculum that is used by all students. Instead of classroom management and test scores, you will focus on making sure instruction is interesting, engaging and effective, records are managed and individual needs of students are met. You will be evaluated based on your ability to draw upon your unique skills and training to connect students with excellent resources and develop productive relationships with your students’ education team.
The Education Guide (the other licensed position) is the primary point of contact between the school and our families who are educating at home, they are responsible for connecting DCS families with educational options that align to each student’s personalized learning goals. They work with parents to better understand where their children are excelling and how they could beneﬁt from additional development. Educational Guides are available to provide support in your classroom as well as have serve as the liaison between you and our families.
Who We’re Looking For
We believe the most successful candidates will be out‐of‐the‐box thinkers who fully embrace the idea of education that takes place in community‐based and personalized learning environments. You are someone who understands that not all kids learn at the same pace and that a once‐size‐ﬁts‐all approach doesn’t work for everyone. We’re looking for people who are passionate about igniting a lifelong approach to learning and embrace the idea that parents, family, and community can (and do) play an enormous role in education, and may each have different philosophies and methods of educating.
A successful candidate is someone who likes the idea of a ﬂexible work environment and is willing to approach challenges with grace and a can‐do attitude. Teacher must have either an Elementary Multiple Subject Matter Endorsement (for facilitating grades 1‐6) or Single Subject Matter Endorsements (for facilitating grades 7‐8). As a DCS staff, you are willing to try new approaches, roll with change, and develop productive relationships with people from all backgrounds. You’re someone who truly cares about the unique needs, abilities, and interests of your students and you’re ready to help your students and their families develop a learning path that reﬂects those abilities and interests.
You’ve likely got a few tricks up your sleeve when it comes to determining individual student strengths and development areas, and you excel at positive communication. You’re a highly organized, accomplished, enthusiastic educator and you’re ready to put your skills to work in a new and refreshing way. The successful candidate will be someone who has a proven track record of working cooperatively and collaborating with a team (and we are very lucky to have a GREAT and very positive team). You will both receive and provide support to other members of the team. You will be expected to provide input when making key decisions using our shared decision-making model.
We are also looking for someone who has strong technology skills. We are a small school and have need for someone with a background in technology to provide leadership to our team. This would include guidance on selecting appropriate software and hardware, helping problem-solve day to day issues, and providing training and professional development to our staff and parents.
DCS teachers meet the following qualiﬁcations and skills:
● Valid Oregon teaching license with appropriate endorsements
● Meets deﬁnition of highly qualiﬁed
● At least two years of experience as an educator in a public, private, or alternative education setting.
● At least one year experience in curriculum selection, standards‐based instruction, unit‐based studies, and assessment methods.
● Demonstrated understanding of community‐based learning including non-formal education settings, homeschooling, and alternative education.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Ability to work collaboratively with all faculty members, students, family members, and community members. Demonstrated willingness and skills to actively engage as a contributor to a team effort are essential for this position.
● Available and willing to meet face‐to‐face with students and parents on a scheduled basis.
● Operational knowledge of web‐based communication platforms and Microsoft oﬃce suite.
● Strong communication skills – written, oral, telephone, e‐mail.
● Access to personal transportation; insurable driving record.
● Ability to engage and motivate diverse community of learners with high regard to individual interests, learning styles, and academic backgrounds.
● Master’s degree in a relevant ﬁeld
● Direct experience working with homeschooling families, or in other nontraditional educational settings.
● Strong technology skills.
●The ability to problem solve software issues, configure new equipment, and take a leadership role with the staff with a strong skill set in technology.
● Great sense of humor and positive attitude
● Experience creating your own courses, curriculum, differentiated lessons
- This position will begin at the start of the 2019-2020 school year (around August 21, 2019).
- Currently, teacher contracts are approximately 190 days.
- DCS staff are oﬀered a health and dental insurance plan, paid time oﬀ, a competitive salary, professional development opportunities, and a ﬂexible schedule.
- In addition, the District pays the six percent (6%) employee PERS contribution required by ORS 238.200 and ORS 238A.330.
1. View the complete position description at dallascommunityschool.org/employment.
2. Email the following documents to email@example.com
● Completed Application
● Cover letter
● List of professional references to include your most recent supervisor(s) if not included in your resume
● Copy of Oregon Teaching License (both sides)
● Complete College Transcript (need not be oﬃcial)
● Completed supplemental questions (found on our website )
Due to the anticipated number of applications expected, we regret that we cannot personally reply to every inquiry. Applicants selected for an interview will be notiﬁed by phone. Applicants selected for hire must pass a drug screening and a comprehensive criminal, driver, and personal history background check.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers