Field trips and Friday Workshops for families are an important part of the enrichment program at DCS. We try to plan trips and workshops on different days of the week which will cover many concepts, topics and learning goals in students’ Personal Learning Plans, and which will complement and enhance the learning experiences relating to the DCS Classes. We encourage you to add learning goals into your child’s PLP to help them prepare for upcoming field trips, and to use the curiosity sparked by the field trips and workshops, along with the resources we have provided (or which you find online or at your local public library) to extend the learning in the homeschool environment following the event.
Please see our Field Trip policy and guidelines in the DCS Family Handbook. Transportation is not provided unless otherwise noted in the description (but carpooling is encouraged). In our descriptions (below), we will note the maximum number of participants, whether more than one adult chaperone per family will be allowed, and whether siblings will be allowed. Generally, DCS will pay for enrolled students and one adult chaperone per family (sometimes we may charge a fee for adults for more expensive tickets to events). Extra chaperones and non-DCS siblings will usually pay their own entry fees. For any questions about field trips, please contact us at the school at email@example.com or 503-420-4360.
DCS students will automatically have $10 taken out of their $350 Field Trips and Classes Allotment Fund for each field trip they attend. Families who cancel with less than one week’s notice or who don’t show up for a field trip will also be charged the difference between the $10 and the actual cost of the tickets and bus transportation.
Confirmed Field Trips and Workshops for the 2019-20 School Year
This list is updated continuously – parents will be notified of new field trips and sign-up periods and processes in official parent newsletters & emails and reminders on the DCS Families Facebook page.
You may sign up for all confirmed field trips or Friday Workshops using the online forms below each field trip description. Please note the deadline for registration for each event (usually 1 to 2 weeks before the field trip). Families will receive an automated confirmation email after registering, and will receive a confirmation / reminder email with all details about a week before each field trip. We will also send out reminders of upcoming field trips that may still have spots available in the weeks leading up to the field trips.
Full descriptions and online registration forms will be added below this list.
- Wednesday, Sept 4 – 10:00 to 2:00 – K-8 – Homeschooling Day at the Oregon Gardens, Silverton. OR (Just show up by 10 am and check in with Monica McQueen before entering)
- Friday, Sept. 27 – 10:00 to 2:00 – K-8 – Starker Forestry – Forestry Activities & Interpretive Walk (short hike), Corvallis, OR
- Wednesday, Oct. 9 – 10:00 to 2:00 – K-8 – Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, OR – Grades 5-8: Escape Room activity & World War II specific “tour”, Grades K-4: Tour of Space Museum – focusing on Physics & Engineering of space flight
- Friday, Oct. 25 – 1:00 to 3:00 pm – K-8 – EZ Orchards Pumpkin Patch, Salem, OR
- Monday, Nov. 4 – 10:00 to 1:00 – 5-8 – Oregon Historical Society – World War II, Beatles & Oregon History exhibits, Portland, OR
- Monday, Nov. 4 – 10:00 to 1:00 – K-4 – Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR
- Tuesday, Nov. 12 – 1:45-4:00 pm – K-5 – Gilbert House Science Workshops, Salem, OR
- Tuesday, Nov. 12 – 1:45-4:00 pm – 6-8 – Geocaching & Career / Business Visits, Salem, OR
- Friday, Feb. 21 – 12:00-1:15 pm – K-8 – Sleeping Beauty Ballet Performance, Keller Auditorium, Portland, OR
- Monday, March 2 – 10:00-11:15 am – 3-8 – Elsinore Theater – We the People (play), Salem, OR
- Monday, March 16 – 10:00-11:15 am – K-4 – Elsinore Theater – Click, Clack, Moo (play), Salem, OR
- Friday, May 15 – 9:00-2:00 – 1-8 – Evergreen Aviation Museum – Gas Giants Homeschool Workshop, McMinnville, OR
Full details and links to registration forms for other field trips will be added soon
Due to the delay in starting our onsite classes, we finally get to go on a field trip to the Oregon Garden Homeschool Day in Silverton. We especially encourage students of the Plant Biology, Tree Science, and Water Science classes to attend! This field trip is very informal, and there will be lots of ongoing activities and booths to visit, so we will not be doing any kind of guided tours or scheduled activities. Parent / Chaperones will be responsible for their own children during the visit. For this field trip, you do not even need to sign up, but just show up at the Oregon Gardens in Silverton at 879 W. Main St. Silverton, OR by 10 am. Look for Mrs. McQueen – she’ll be wearing her DCS green bandana and have a DCS clip board so new families can recognize her. Everyone needs to get signed in with her before entering. She will keep a tally of the families who come so that she can pay for tickets directly. We will give everyone a DCS sticker to wear so families can identify other DCS Families and meet each other during the visit.
DCS policy is usually to pay for one adult chaperone and for DCS enrolled students. Families would need to pay for additional adults attending or for younger or older non-DCS siblings.
Students (5-17) $4
Children 4 & under Free
Full details and links to registration forms for other field trips will be added soon.